I am a construction worker. How do I get a CSCS card?

Being a labourer in the construction industry is a popular work choice for some migrants. If you have been trying to find a job in construction, you may have heard of ‘CSCS’, which stands for Construction Skills Certification Scheme. Here we explain how to get a CSCS card.

The CSCS helps keep workers in the UK’s construction industry safe – and therefore sites running smoothly.

Workers are able to apply for a CSCS card once they have shown that they hold a level of skill and competence on matters such as manual handling and hazardous substances, as well as health and safety awareness. There are over 2 million cardholders in the UK and the scheme is widely used on the majority of construction sites.

It is important for you to understand that you can apply for a CSCS card by yourself (at a cost) and here we give you some more information to help you do this. You do not need to use a third party organisation to help you with the application – usually they charge a hefty fee on top of the official price.

Who runs the CSCS?

The Construction Industry Training Board (CITB) runs the CSCS. You can find out more about the CITB on their website.

The CITB is an organisation set up by the Government to work with construction companies to help build the UK’s reputation for having a world-class construction industry.

One of the ways they do this is by making employers in the construction industry pay a levy, which is then used to fund projects to do things like improve skills and promote training of workers in the construction industry.

The CSCS was set up as part of this – to help reduce accidents on construction sites and help them to run more smoothly. The CITB also run different schemes, like those specifically for shop fitters, which you can find out about on the CITB website.

The intention is that the employer pays the levy from its own pocket and does not try and ‘pass it on’ to its workers, so you should watch out for things like ‘CITB levy’ appearing on your payslip.

Can you tell me more about the CSCS?

Set up in the 1990s, the CSCS keeps a database of those working in construction, who have attained an agreed level of occupational competence. Successful applicants are issued with a card: this gives them a means of identification and confirms that they have the required training and qualifications. You can find out more information about the CSCS on the official CSCS website.

As different jobs on a building site require different skills and qualifications, there are a range of cards to cover different occupations within the construction industry. For example: Manager, Skilled Worker, and Labourer. The Labourer card is the entry-level card, as labouring is essentially a non-skilled role, however you still need to demonstrate you have achieved a minimum standard.

This card is valid for five years and can be renewed. You can also upgrade your card if you progress.

You can find out more about the different cards on the CSCS website.

How do I get the qualifications for a Labourer card?

From 1 July 2014, you must have passed the Level One Award in Health and Safety in a Construction Environment (this is a lifelong qualification, usually achieved as part of longer term vocational training) or hold a valid one day Site Safety Plus Health and Safety Awareness Course certificate (this is a standalone qualification) or one of the alternatives referred to on the CSCS website.

To find out more about the first qualification, contact your local college of further education, training provider or Jobcentre Plus. They should also be able to provide advice about any financial help that may be available to you to go towards paying for the course.

For many people who are not in construction work long term, the Site Safety Plus Health and Safety Awareness Course is usually the first step towards getting the CSCS Labourer card. You can find details of training providers for the Site Safety Plus Health and Safety Awareness Course on the CITB website.

It costs around £145 plus VAT including lunch and manuals. The minimum entry requirements are that you have a good understanding of spoken and written English.

Prior to July 2014, you did not need either of these qualifications – your employer could verify that you held the relevant knowledge and training, however this system was open to abuse and so was changed. If you obtained your CSCS card under the old style scheme, then it remains valid until its current expiry date. However you will then need to apply for a CSCS card under the new system.

All applicants must also pass the Operatives CITB Health Safety and Environment test which examines knowledge across a wide range of topics and costs £19.50 to sit. You can find more information about the test on the CSCS website.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.